Comprehensive Unified Field List

Does Woodpecker facilitate maintaining a single, comprehensive list of all fields you have created in any template? This would be the easiest way to avoid reinventing the wheel when creating new templates. Otherwise, you need to remember in which other specific template you have defined the field that you want to use, open that document and copy it.

If this doesn’t exist now, would it not be a useful feature?

The only workaround I can think of is to open all my Woodpecker documents, copy all the fields, and insert them all into one document. Then keep that master document updated as new fields are created. But maybe this would run into a problem with the pricing structure being based on number of fields per template.

1 Like

Hi Steve :wave:,

Welcome to the community. We have heard this request before, and it is on our product roadmap. We definitely agree that it is a very useful feature. The reason why it is still on our roadmap and not yet implemented is because it is a large and complex engineering undertaking. However, I have forwarded this request to our product team.

The best strategy to get around this would be to do what you described. Another option would be to use the Export Fields as CSV feature to maintain the master field list offline. However, at this time, you cannot upload fields directly into Woodpecker from this CSV file so that is the main drawback of this approach. One way around this problem would be to keep track of the templates where these fields exist, so they can be directly copy and pasted into new templates using our Reuse Fields feature.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

1 Like

After over 2 years from this initial posting, this feature is still not available. If you have taken a lot of time and effort to design fields from one document, but now are working on a different document, and you could really use the fields and their values, you must do as the initial poster stated. Remember which document had that field and manually copy it over.

The result is that use of woodpecker is crippling and its ability to be really valuable is diminished greatly.

And what about if you need to update a field that you may use in more than one document? Good luck with that because you will have to update it individually in your other documents or manually copy it to that other document.

I am severely restricted in my work because if I use a document that is more suitable to my immediate task, the Woodpecker stored content won’t be present in that document. This means I must spend more time modifying a document which has my most recent and more comprehensive woodpecker stored content, such as names, variables, etc.

Both options are less than ideal. I want the ability to draw on all of the data and material I’ve saved within Woodpecker. However, unless I use most recent document which requires a lot more work to fix it up, I can’t save any time.

Exporting to CSV then importing into Woodpecker again for each time this situation is encountered is not pragmatic. I’m not paying over $120 per month for a program that requires rubberbands and duct tape so it works properly.

Hi, Spencer -

We have heard this request before, and it is on our product roadmap. The reason why it is still on our roadmap and not yet implemented is because it is a large and complex engineering undertaking.

Thank you for your understanding.

Eszter